Monday, July 31, 2006

Dear Verizon

July 27, 2006


To whom it may concern:


My mother, E--- W---, had a Verizon Wireless Account, # ****. She has been suffering from dementia for a few years. My brother was handling all her business for the past 2-3 years. (I have no idea why he did not cancel her account with you, since she has been unable to work mechanical devices for quite some time now, but that’s a moot point now.) My brother died in January and I took over my mother’s affairs. In early April I realized that this Verizon account was still active. After calling your customer service department, I was told to fax in a copy of the Power of Attorney that I hold for my mother. I did, and requested that the account be cancelled.

A few weeks ago I received a letter from you concerning this account. The letter claimed that the account had been canceled for non-payment, and that E W had better pay up before the account went into collections. It neglected to give the account number, and did not actually state what amount was due; as such it was just the sort of masterpiece of incompetence that I have come to expect from your company.

I called your company and talked to a customer service representative (who seemed somewhat on the ball, for a change) who told me that there was a note on the account that a fax had been received in early April, but that no other information about the fax was recorded. In other words, some brainless fool didn’t know what to do with it, and tossed it without recording that it was a POA giving me power to handle the account and that I requested that the account be closed. I was encouraged to fax this information again. I declined. I have better things to do than to continuously drive around town sending faxes for your incredibly incompetent employees to lose.

I am sending you the amount that my mother owed as of the day I asked you to cancel her account. You have placed the account in collections; I have written to notify the collection agency that I dispute the amount.

I have the printout that I received confirming that you did receive a fax from me in early April. I have the fax I sent. There is a note on her account stating that you received a fax. If you chose to pursue this further, you are even more ridiculous than I supposed.

I would love to tell you that I will never be your customer again because of your mishandling of this account; unfortunately I can’t, since I already swore to never have dealings with you again when you managed to screw up my home account for over a year in 2001-2002. You jokers are beyond belief.

This note might be rude, but then, so is harassing the bereaved. And I believe that after a certain point, incompetence that is always in Verizon’s favor—financially-- ceases to look like incompetence at all, and starts to look like a deliberate attempt to defraud. Think about that before you try to squeeze any more money out of my mother.

k____

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathy, Kathy Kathy. I love you more and more every day. Isn't it therapeutic to get things like that off your chest when they have been building inside you for a while. Even better to have a blog to post it on after you have mailed it. Just like Suave, they'll tell 2 friends, and they'll tell 2 friends, and so on, and so on. Get 'em girl. Take no prisoners! Dave C.

1:30 PM  
Blogger kathy said...

It felt soooooo good to mail that.

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home